January 4, 2009

Gen-Y

When I have a crisis or an issue I google and read as much as possible. I like to know how things work, why they work and all the facts. So since I am 20something and feeling like my world is out of my control, I have googled 20something and found a few books I am checking out tomorrow.

What I have discovered first relates to my career. I currently work for a timeshare company processing paperwork. I have 20 sales reps who I send out paperwork for, process it, run $$ for it and anything else they need related to our owners. I have been doing this for 2yrs. I was promoted last March to "Assistant Office Admin" which basically just means a title and pay raise. A few weeks ago I was demoted, due to the fact that I snapped at work, I am lucky to still have a job in this market. Anyway, what I was the most upset about was my pay raise. Thats ridiculous.

After reading a bunch of online articles I had an epihpany on why I had my freak out at work and why the job I once loved it becoming more and more annoying and not worth it.

Gen-Y loves to be patted on the back for doing a good job, we love to learn new things and grow, we enjoy when managers hear our ideas and make them happen. We want to be part of the bigger picture. I have NEVER felt this way at my job, even after my promotion. I was the one who made sure I was attending any manager meetings or I had to include myself and my ideas were NEVER used. Or used a few weeks later my idea was used but my boss took credit for it. WTF. I don't feel very useful, wanted, needed or even that I am growing. I feel stuck in my position.

I am majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations, I want to plan events. I want to be in the midst of all the action and planning. I have thought of being a wedding planner. Cheesy, I know but I love all the pretty, shiny things. LOL.

So my new career goal for 2009 is find something that fits more with my final career goal. Whether that be with my same company and different dept. or with a new company. I am excited to see what I can find.

I want more things from my career and I am ready to find them. I think I have been hiding under a shell when it comes to my career. I have always been under the thought of just work and pay bills. But I want more, I want fun and excitement and growth. I want to learn, I love learning. I am GOING to get it too. :)

Ta ta,
Ms. Pink Zebra

3 comments:

  1. That is a huge undertaking and something that is not easy to admit to yourself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always in the camp that if you really want something and have the drive and passion for it, you'll end up getting it. Good luck.

    You've probably already read this article, but your post reminded me of it.

    http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2005-11-06-gen-y_x.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider yourself tagged! We've tagged you in our "I'd like to thank the academy..." award! Enjoy Ms. Pink Zebra!

    ReplyDelete